Thursday, September 2, 2010

Days 11 & 12 - Z's and G's

Day 11 - Go to Bed Already!
I passed out at 8:45 last night. Now, as any mom of an ankle (or, in Sebastian's case, TOE) biter will tell you, good sleep is our Shangrila. It's not only that you have one ear constantly tuned to WAA (the all night baby station), but even if your munchkin sleeps through the night, it's so durned hard to get to bed at a decent hour. I'm busy being "productive". The heady freedom of baby bedtime is unparalleled - and I cannot help but try to squeeze every second of grown-up time in before I stagger to bed. Of course, we all know what happens next: I close my eyes, and BAM - it's 5:30 and Sebastian has decided it's an AWESOME time to start the morning. So, I don't get anything done all day because I'm practically cross-eyed with exhaustion and drooling on myself in public (yes, that really happened, but it was on the subway, so my fellow passengers just figured I was on something). So my bedtime is now 10:00, let's see if I can actually make myself turn off YouTube and hit the hay. I'll just remind myself how NICE it is to be able to think complete thoughts, and not embarrass myself on public transit.

Day 12 - Stick 'Em Up
Oh lawzy, I pity the thief who steals my wallet. He would have to wade through so many gift cards, discount cards, buttons, safety pins, spare change, receipts, and paper clips that he might actually miss the money! So in the interests of making it easier on you, Mr Mugger, today I simplified my wallet. You are welcome. This one was a real toughie because, like any good New Yorker, I love a discount and have signed up for every free membership card known to man; from pharmacies to book stores, if there's a bargain to be had, I'm your woman.

Wallet Simplification 101
1. Open wallet, brace for explosion of paper, buttons, cards, etc.
2. Empty wallet. Hand me the cash. Thank you.
3. Put back only what you use at least once a week, not once a leap year.
4. Decide what to do with everything else (put frequent flyer cards in carry on bag or travel folder, use up those gift cards, etc.)

I found gift cards I've had for over two years! What exactly am I waiting for? I'll tell you: the moment when the universe lines up just so and something goes on sale AND I have a coupon AND a gift card. Well, that works great for stores like Old Navy who have awesome sales & weekly coupons, but for some places? No coupons and cruddy sales - that's probably why someone got you the gift card. So, I spent it, and Sebastian got his very own bean bag chair. And I? Well, I got the use of my shoulder back now that I'm not carrying 25 lbs worth of extra clutter in my wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment