Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 29 - The Other Use for Handbags

I was the girl who threw up on the subway yesterday. Into my handbag. Oh yes, I was that girl. I guess I ate something that didn't agree with me, or maybe it was that entire cake I had with lunch? Who knows. The bottom line is that I spent the rest of the night paying for whatever sin I had committed to make me deserve that. Which brings me to today's topic: illness.

Nothing makes you appreciate good health more than a night worshiping at the Great Porcelain Throne. It got me thinking: out of the great pantheon of remedies, what do we really need to have in our medicine cabinet? I mean, let's face it, the only thing I use more than once a year is the ibuprofen. How little can I really get away with having in there?

- acetaminophen for fever reduction, headaches
- ibuprofen for reducing inflammation
- nasal spray for colds
- band aids, gauze pads
- ace bandage
- thermometer
- Pepto Bismol tablets for tummy issues (if you're prone to digestive drama)
- calamine or cortisone lotion for freaky skin rashes (if you're prone to rolling in poison ivy)

Beyond that, whatever you personally use on a regular basis. Half the stuff out there doesn't really work (cough suppressants are a joke), and the other half we buy when we need it and let the rest expire (I had TheraFlu from 1995!). Besides, beyond the basics like knocking out a fever or clearing a stuffy nose, rest, fluids, and a good margarita take care of 90% of what ails you. Hmmm. Margaritas.....

2 comments:

  1. you're the smartest barfer i've ever known.
    what do you charge to teach the short people how to barf in a container?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are so much more forgiving with short people - I say forget the container and let 'er rip! OK, not really. When Sebastian was going through the worst of his spit up (ie barf all over every clean outfit) phase, there were days when it was all I could do not to strap a bucket to his head.

    ReplyDelete