Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 30 - The Hippy-Dippy Medicine Cabinet

I admit it. I am a little crunchy (but just a little - you can't strip me of my city-girl cred yet - I only eat tofu ironically. Boo yah, hipsters). One of the places said crunchiness manifests itself is in my medicine cabinet. Yesterday we looked at the essentials in traditional medicine, but what about alternatives? Below are some of my favorites that don't involve weird processes like fermenting or sprouting or astral projection. Or chanting. For all of my patchouli-wearing crystal-loving friends who LIKE to ferment, sprout, project and chant, have at it - I love you crazy kids. Speaking of kids, keep in mind that there are different guidelines for children & adults when dealing with traditional and alternative meds - check with a reputable source before dosing your young 'un with stuff.

Coughs & Sore Throats:
- organic and all-natural cough drops work as well as anything else for a dry, scratch throat and cough
- honey is a pretty effective cough suppressant - read all about it (now remember - NEVER give honey to children under one year of age - risk of botulism)
- Throat Coat tea tastes kind of oogy, but works well - slippery elm bark
- oscillococcinum - homeopathic flu treatment, best in the early stages

Stuffy Nose, Allergies
- neti pot

Tummy Trouble:
- peppermint tea
- candied ginger (or ginger in any form, really - whatever you can get down)
- papaya or pineapple enzymes

Bad Bruises or Muscles Strains/Sprains
- arnica gel
- ace or neoprene bandages/braces
- Epsom salts

Insomnia
- Sleepy time Tea from Celestial Seasonings
- a healthy shot of something alcoholic (occasionally, people, occasionally)

Skin Afflictions
- aloe vera (right out of the plant)
- tea tree oil - like nature's neosporin (anti fungal, antimicrobial, etc.)

Therapies:
- acupuncture works wonders on inflammation, endocrine issues, chronic pain, etc.

Preventative
- probiotics, in pill or food form
- neti pot (great when you've been exposed to a cold or feel early symptoms)
- sleep & good nutrition (quit that eye rolling - you know I'm right)

This list is by no means exhaustive, this is just what I have and use. Do you have any that you and your family can't live without? Share! Unless of course it involves fermenting, sprouting...

5 comments:

  1. Apple cider vinegar - a few tablespoons of that, some honey and some hot water - tastes vile, but it will take you from whiskey baritone to audition ready in no time.

    They also make slippery elm lozenges that are great for scratchy throat mornings.

    Any time I have indigestion or my stomach feels oogy (if I am not actually throwing up) I reach for yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah and camphophenique for bug bites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neil Med Sinus rinse (http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php).
    I used a neti pot for years with so-so results. I started using this (kind of a power wash to neti's gentle stream) and haven't had a sinus infection since. It's weird but it works.

    Finely ground oatmeal added to a bath will soothe a rash on young kids.

    After Bug Bite (bought it at the Amish store) is a wonderful soother for bug bites even on my kid who is allergic to everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Massage, massage, and more massage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all awesome! Thanks lovelies! Now, if I can only find a way to get my insurance to start paying for massages.. must work on this.

    ReplyDelete