Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 44 - Don't Touch My Stash, Dude!

I'm back I'm back I'm back! The hubby was home for a whole 10 days, so we spent them doing Family Things and Catching Up (...brown chicken brown cow...) and not blogging. Priorities, people! ANYWAY. The time has come for me to face facts: I have a teensy weensy little problem. It started small, just a yard here or there, an innocent order at fabric.com, a quick trip to Mood. "I can stop anytime I want", I told myself, but here we are friends: I am suffering from a fabric addiction. You heard me. I'm being buried under an avalanche of yardage, and I absolutely cannot stop myself! Faux, leather? Gotta have it! Organic cotton knits? Outta my way! Sparkly holographic spandex on sale? Try to stop me! Oh, the pathos...

Now, I know I'm not alone. Fess up, sewing mamas! I know all about your stash - hiding in the closet, stuffed behind the sewing machine, overflowing the bins in the garage! Aaaaaaall that fabric, with or without a designated project in its future. Well, the time has come for this mama to pare down a bit... but just a bit. There's no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks that I'm parting with my yardage, but I think I can safely get rid of the tiny scraps that wouldn't even clothe a matchstick. However, this calls for a compromise: while I'm not getting rid of a lot, I'm imposing a moratorium on any new fabric until I've used up a good amount of what I have (of course, the first person to remind me of this when I sneak home from the fabric district is likely to get a knuckle sandwich). I'm also putting it all into proper bins since I've got it scattered from here to Kingdom come. Ugh, I can feel the withdrawal starting even now... must... not... click... "confirm order"....

2 comments:

  1. Umm, yeah. A whole room. Including the closet, three cabinets, six rubber maid containers, two cardboard boxes, three open bins, and two shelves of folded yardage.

    Did I mention the large (36"h x 24"w) box of fabric for "donation" that I just can't get rid of? Meaning I won't actually let it leave my house.

    Or the three yards of kids interlock I couldn't pass up just this week!?!

    Although I didn't buy any fabric in September and I surprised myself by having at least 33% of my suitcase from my trip to NYC & Philly be clothing I made for myself!

    ReplyDelete