Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 42 - Rushing Around Like a Demented Bumble Bee

Being as I'm all a-tired from pulling together this behemoth of a corporate show, I don't have the oomph to do much except make the following observation. Let's catalogue it under "Science of the Obvious". There are only so many hours/minutes/seconds in the day, and when we choose one thing, it most likely means excluding something else. I mean, let's face it - multitasking can only get you so far. Part of the reason I chose to actively simplify my life was because I couldn't help but feel that I was so busy, I was missing my own life. Ever feel that way?

Now, I'm not talking about busy weeks or even months; there will be seasons of life where everything converges in a perfect storm of crazy. I'm talking about YEARS of frantic racing hither and yon, and being proud of it because a) we think we're SUPPOSED to be insane or b) we've mistaken it for a full and productive life. Or, perhaps we're run down and burned out, and wondering how the days flew by without our noticing it. And we have no idea which day could be our last, or the last of someone we love (morose, but true).

So, I choose not to be manic, crazed, insane, or frantic for the long haul. Today? Maybe. But not for the long haul. A juicy life doesn't have to be packed with enrichment and scheduled to the hilt to be truly nourishing. If my days are packed, I want them packed full of Life, which includes episodes of hectic rushing/cramming/scurrying, but also moments of beautiful stillness and quiet beauty. I don't want to miss smelling the baby smell of Sebastian's head, sharing coffee on the couch with my husband, or noticing the leaves starting to abandon ship on the tree outside. It seems to boil down to the preciousness of time, and whether we will spend it deliberately or not. Don't waste the miracle! Now go on, shoo - git. Go eat pie.

1 comment: