Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day 39 - Pinching Pennies Until They Scream

Attention shoppers! Ever wonder where all your hard-earned moolah winds up? ME TOO! Now, in general, I don't shop for fun. Don't get me wrong , I remember the thrill of coming home with bags of fabulous possibilities ("I will wear this chartreuse mini-dress EVERY DAY!"), but I'm trying to pare down, not stock up. Except.... except when it comes to groceries. When it comes to edibles, I morph into some sort of obsessive mutant coupon bounty hunter; I piggyback manufacturers coupons on top of store sales, buy in bulk, and rebate out the wazoo. I am Crazed Coupon Woman! So what's the problem?
 
The problem is that I'm trying to go all organic and healthy and most coupons are for highly processed foods or things we don't use. And while it KILLS me to pass up Raisin Bran at $.75 a box, I think we can do better. Besides, it takes a lot of time to clip endless coupons, check websites, comparison shop, and run to eight different stores, all the while making a list and checking it twice. Complicated. So here's what I'm a-gonna do.
 
1. Clip organic/healthy coupons only - that'll narrow it down.
2. Pick the grocery store with the cheapest prices & let the chips fall where they may, with trips to Trader Joe's whenever possible.
3. When I start to hyperventilate about the Raisin Bran special I'm missing out on, I can remind myself that even with the sale, ounce for ounce that canister of steel cut oats is way cheaper. Now mind you, I don't have to soak and boil my Raisin Bran, but one must make some sacrifices.
 
This will take some revisiting, but it's a good start. Besides, I know people (certainly not me - I would never do this) who have demolished an entire box of cereal in a day. I'm just sayin'...
 
 

3 comments:

  1. best steel cut oats recipe ever... and now with no! soaking!

    1 cup oats to 2 cups liquid of choice (we like milk best) or same ratio for whatever quantity you eat.
    1T butter per cup oats.

    put in crockpot for 6-8 hours et voila. add dried fruit later or it will be all pushed out and unattractive. if your bed schedule isn't conducive to that length of time get one of those christmas light timer thingys to plug your crockpot into so it turns on automatically whilst you sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. with oats you could make your own cereal/granola too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And THIS is why I blog! I'm going to try both of these this week - thanks mamas!!!!!

    ReplyDelete