Saturday, August 21, 2010

I dreamed a dream...

... a dream of running away to Lancaster County and finally living among my true people - the Amish. Now kindly lower that eyebrow and just THINK of it! Instead of waking to the sound of a weed whacker in the courtyard below, I would rise to the gentle sounds of of cows mooing in the early dawn; and instead of a pile of my husband's dirty shirts, I would be greeted with... OK, a pile of my husband's dirty shirts - but there wouldn't be so many of them! I would have just what I needed and no more. What would that be like?

Now I don't have a cluttered home by any stretch of the imagination. What I DO have is an 11 month old and husband in a New York City apartment (well, Queens, but let's not split hairs). Short of renouncing it all and going to live in a pod (yes, I've thought about it and it sounds WONDERFUL), how close can I get to a truly simple life? And can I maintain it?

Of course, the irony is that I've just potentially complicated my life by adding this blog. And to be fair, this may be the only post I ever write (oh shut up - like you finish everything you start in a fit of wildly optimistic ambition). But I'll give it a whirl, and learn a bunch I'm sure in the process. Off we go!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, this is inspiring! I, too, need some decluttering...both physical and emotional. Thanks for the reminder.

    Oh, and my dream is not to live in PA with the Amish...it's to live on The Farm with Ina May Gaskin. :) Total hippie commune lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete