Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 9 - Shoe Fly

Today, I resisted buying shoes. In fact, just now I resisted buying shoes. This was a herculean effort, because they were SO CUTE and everyone needs navy & teal suede pumps with metal stud work - I just know I'd wear them every day. AND I had a coupon AND they were on SALE! See how this goes? Sigh.

I am a New Yorker, and, as such, I walk more in one day than many people walk in a week. I'm not exaggerating, and I've got the bunions to prove it. I have a 15 minute walk to the train, plus another 10-20 minutes when I get off depending on where I'm going; add it up both ways and it's at least one hour per day. I tried those wobbly sneakers that promise you a lifted derriere if you hobble around on them for a few weeks, but my hamstrings protested and my gluteus maximus staged a coup after day one. I've limped through the streets in killer heels, I've slip-slapped the miles in my flip-flops, I've tromped the sidewalks in boots for all seasons. My. feet. have. had it. It's time for (deep breath)... sensible shoes.

Today's mission? Putting all the gorgeous shoes I never wear because they cripple me into Purge-atory.  What's that you ask? Only the best EVER method for parting with things you aren't sure you can live without!

1 - gather beloved items, give them one final goodbye kiss
2 - open a box and lovingly place them inside (please try to stifle your weeping - you must be strong!)
3 - write a date anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months from now on the box
4 - on the date listed on your box, you take it to Goodwill or wherever your favorite purging place is

DONE! Chances are, you will have forgotten all about what's in that box, and it makes the parting sooooo much easier. In the interest of full disclosure, I must tell you that yes - every once in a blue moon, I go rescue something from Purge-atory, but it ain't often. So, farewell red faux snakeskin platform sandals! Au revoir beaded heels that almost sever my toe! I will think of you ... well, probably never again. Adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment