Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 4 - Money Money Money

Wednesday is Financial Day. What, you didn't know? Nice of you to dress up anyway. Actually, it's something I started many moons ago after reading an organizational book that suggested each day of the week be assigned a corresponding "zone" of your life (more on this later). It's a system that's worked out remarkably well over the years, and knowing that I have a set day of the week to pay bills or dust or shower update files keeps me from getting overloaded.

Anyhoo, on Wednesdays I deal with all things moolah related, like itemizing receipts, bank accounts, preparing deposits, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... Oh sorry, I dozed off there for a moment. I have to admit - I hate Wednesdays for this very reason. I don't LIKE all the numbers and the bits of paper and the stupid stupid math, and inevitably I wind up on the couch tucking into some Ben & Jerry's and watching Hulu. Not good. So, something's gotta give. It has to be EASIER somehow.

Today's mission? To get my automation on. My finances have 3 sectors: Personal (ME ME ME!!!!), Business (Circus ME ME ME!!!), and Joint (ME!!!! + hubby). Each sector has a dedicated credit card to make keeping the accounting a little easier. Today, I'm going to A) make sure recurring expenses are on the correct card, and B) see how many things I can make automatic. Now this won't work if you carry a balance on your cards, but since we don't, we just earn nicey rewards while paying our bills. Like! Now, I realize this doesn't sound terribly simple, but baby steps people! This will be a great time to review services I'm paying for every month, decide if we really need them (in fact, canceled our phone land line today - saved $180 per year), and toss the ones we can do without.

Speaking of monthly charge-y services, which ones have you cancelled and how have you fared without it? Share share share!

1 comment:

  1. Laura, it's me, Shannon!

    Oh, girl, I love the way you think and the way you blog! I used to have this thing called "Ugly Monday". I reserved Mondays for doing all the stuff I hated (laundry, bills, returning calls to people I didn't really like...etc...) I figured Monday was already sucky enough, might as well make it super sucky so I could enjoy the rest of the week. I stopped this craziness somewhere along the way, but I'm thinking of doing it again. Soooo hard to keep up with everything these days!

    Werk yer blog, girl!!

    ReplyDelete