Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 55 - Bread or Brick? You Decide!

Mmmmm, what's that heavenly smell wafting from my kitchen? Well, I can tell you what it's not. In the past week, I've suddenly gone all Sally Homemaker and decided that Baking Bread is something I simply have to do. In the past, I've tackled quickbreads, muffins, and the occasional bread machine loaf, but now I'm ready to graduate to the Real Thing. Except. I can't get the damned thing to rise. Now, I'm tempted to blame it on bad yeast (entirely possible since heaven only knows how long it's been sitting around in the grocery store), but what if it's not? What if I've finally met my match? What if I am somehow genetically unable to bake bread?!

Now, when this madcap idea of pounding dough and kneading loaves first occurred to me, I found myself having to answer two questions. Q: Why not use a bread machine? A: Easy. I gave mine away last year in a fit of purging. But, beyond that, I'm after more than just an edible loaf of bread. There's an alchemy to this baking business, something that goes beyond the finished product. Q: Isn't it simpler just to go buy bread from the store? A: Hmmmm. That depends on what definition of simplicity we're going to use today. There is the very literal "simple" meaning fast and easy. So yes, in that sense, a store-bought loaf would be simpler. But then there's the "essential simple", the simple that demands that we give up the fast, the hurry, the burdensome, and focus on the elemental, the humble, and the plain. Amish Simplicity. So, in this case, dough pounded by hand is the simpler option.

And now, for your viewing pleasure, a HILARIOUS look at attempt #3 - a "Rustic Italian Brick Bread"


Got mah ingredients together


Dead yeast?

Hmmmmmm.....

And the verdict? .....

It's a brick!

5 comments:

  1. Get a bag of Gold Medal bread flour (and some wheat flour if you don't already have some) and try the hearth bread recipe on the back. I triple the honey added though. I also LOVE the Fleischman's Rapid Rise yeast as I am not patient.

    I miss my bread machine. I have killed 3 from overuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread that has to rise is mean. Make sure the bowl you mix your ingredients in is warm, I run it under hot water and then dry it fast. As far as rising it needs to be really warm in the house, at least in mine, so I put it in front of our heater or turn the stove on to warm allow it to heat up, and then turn it off and put the bread in there.
    Or you can do a really long slow rise, 18-36 hours. Check out the book Kneadlessly Simple for those recipes.

    Not that I have successfully made bread yet. But I did finally win at Pizza dough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome, even I can't screw it up, recipe.

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

    I have never had a problem and I have a less than accurate oven. Yeah, the pizza dough is not very amish but it is a kitchen multi tasker and you don't have to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like your yeast never proofed. I can say this having just made an equally brick like loaf of oatmeal bread yesterday. I belated googled "proofed yeast" and realized mine never foamed. Oops. You want tepid water, add yeast, stir, add dash of white sugar and wait. Maybe 5 minutes? You're looking for something big and foamy, think the top of a glass of bear kind of foam. Good luck. And try, try, try again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Karen - I'm gonna try your fool-proof bread suggestion some time this week. Keep your fingers crossed!!!!

    ReplyDelete