Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Day 104 - The Kitty Litter Facial

Confession: when I was in college, I was in possession of a book which supposedly contained 100 of the best kept beauty secrets in Hollywood. One of the suggestions was to use a 100% pure clay kitty litter as a face mask - I mean hey, clay is clay, right? Not having a cat, I never actually tried it, but I couldn't help fantasizing about all the women who did. You have to figure that, after this author made the morning talk show rounds, that thousands of women across America actually went to the store, purchased kitty litter, mixed it with water, and smeared it all over their faces. Did it make a difference? I'll never know, but here's another gem from the book: never eat anything bigger than your head. And use Preparation-H as eye cream. Good stuff, people.

Anyway, I've started making my own beauty products where it suits me, and I thought I'd share some of my "kitty litter facials" with you all:
  • baking soda makes a rocking facial scrub - mix it with your cleanser & kiss that haggard, rough complexion goodbye (wait... am I the only one looking haggard these days?)
  • make your own hairspray by combining one cup of boiling water and a tablespoon of sugar. Let it cool, pour it into a spray bottle, and voila! If you don't want to keep it in the fridge, add a few drops of rosemary essential oil - it helps keep bacteria from growing.
  • salt scrub: salt + oil + skin-friendly essential oils = a greasy tub glowing skin
  • honey makes an awesome (and delicious!) face mask in the winter, yogurt is a good one for summer
If this kind of thing really floats your boat, go here for 50 recipes for everything from beet tinted lip gloss to vodka hair shine, a hair product I can really get behind. And now, a random cute photo of my son from our week in the Finger Lakes.



A girl and her cow! This was taken at the county fair - it was just too great to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment