Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 96 - Get Off Yer Duff - Exercise Revisited

Sigh.... it's almost time to Make The Exercise Happen. If I put the amount of energy I spend groaning and procrastinating into the actual exercising, I'd be all perky and fit like Denise Austin (seriously - watch that whole link - you'll get an ab workout just by guffawing). As I've mentioned previously, I do not like the whole heaving-sweaty-bouncing-exertion part of exercise, but I DO love the results. Sad fact is, unless you're moving your tush vigorously for at least 30  minutes a day (or have a strenuous job like constructionn worker or stripper ballerina), you are categorized as having a sedentary lifestyle, which brings with it a whole host of Bad Things. True - it doesn't matter if you're going to Zumba or very actively stalking Ian Somerhalder your hottie husband, you gotta werk yer bod. Again, sigh.

Ian Somerhalder = healthy and very motivating

It's tough for me to actively stalk or work construction, and I'm certainly not going to pay someone $10 an hour to watch my child so I can go torture myself, so I did the unthinkable: I bought a jogging stroller. It was cheap on eBay, and here's why: it's a BOAT. This thing is huge (though it does fold down nicely), but it does have shocks for days, and Sebastian really gets a kick out of it as we go racing through the park at "top speed". I love seeing the Orthodox Jewish women in their long skirts and shirts jogging along or zooming by on roller-blades (that's the best), or the Pakistani ladies in full salwar kameez huffing and puffing with their hand weights. I love New York!

So, while it might seem to run counter to my experiment in simplicity, it's not just about seeing how much stuff I can live without. It's about living and consuming deliberately. This works because it gets Sebastian and I out of the house and into the park with TREES and BIRDS and NATURE (all good!), and gets my butt in gear (also good). Plus (and perhaps most importantly), it keeps him from making Mommy crazy with the whining and the whining and the WHINING. Your mission? Find some fitness-y thing that you enjoy and work it into almost every day, 'cause as my Auntie says, "If your body breaks down, where are you going to live?" True dat, peeps, true dat.

1 comment:

  1. Wish Cadence was still small enough for the jogging stroller! Happy running: )

    ReplyDelete