Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 62 - The Guest in My Hall Closet

When I was about three years old and potty training, I had quite the love/hate relationship with our downstairs toilet. Hate because I frequently fell in (please imagine a Very Pissed Off three-year-old literally folded in half, arms and legs sticking straight up & not quite able to get out, then please address your letters of concern to my mother's attention); love because of Org. Org was the ogre who lived in our toilet. You see, we lived in a very old building, and air would get caught in the pipes and make a very loud groaning sound whenever we flushed. My mother (you can add this to your letter) told me it was Org the Ogre - how she thought this would help me potty train I will never know, although apparently it worked... eventually. In any case, Org was a prominent figure in my early years, and at the very least made going to the potty interesting.

Fast forward 30 20-something years, and I feel as if Org has come to visit again. Only THIS time, he is living in our steam heating pipes. More specifically, he is living in my hall closet. For some unexplained reason, we have a teeny tiny little radiator in there (for what I will NEVER know - chilly Christmas decorations and empty suitcases?Ooooooookay.), and it is LOUD. So, it would seem that Org and I are together again!

Lately, I noticed that his clanging was a bit subdued, and when I took a good look inside my closet, the reason was clear: he was being suffocated! Ogre abuse! While I cleared out the coat closet in the hall (which, alarmingly, could do with another pass), I've been procrastinating about dealing with this one. And please note that this doubly sinful because closet space is such a luxury in NYC.

So, this week is for you, Org. I will make you a hall closet you'll be proud to call home. Any chance I could convince you to move into our toilet though? Sebastian is due to start potty training next year...

Scary Front Hall Closet

Weird Little Closet Radiator

2 comments:

  1. That is a weird little radiator. Warm coats are a good thing though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right??!! I just can't figure out why it's there. Except to create a fire hazzard. ;)

    ReplyDelete