Saturday, February 5, 2011

Day 70 - Awash in a Sea of Granola

Now, Dear Reader, I could tell you about how I cleaned out all of my kitchen drawers (I did) and only found two measly napkin rings to get rid of (disappointing and not at all satisfying), OR I could tell you about The Very Heavy Food Drama going on in our house. Or at least in my head. What's that? You want to hear about the Drama? It's probably not what you think, but read on. I'll try to add a little "Real Housewives of New Jersey" flair to keep it real salacious interesting.

Sigh... I have been reading. Now, I realize this doesn't sound like a bad thing, but... sigh. You see, I have been reading three books that are making me think (which I try not to do unless it's a special occasion), and now I have all this information that I can A- totally ignore or B- choose to do something with. The problem? I can't do A. What are these Tragic Tomes which are causing so much sturm and drang? Two by Michael Pollan, "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food", and "Crazy Sexy Diet" by Kris Carr. All three are infinitely readable, incredibly well researched, and do not smell of Preachy-Judginess, and I can heartily recommend that you read at least one if you haven't already (the Michael Pollan books would be my first stop). So why am I whinging and whining? Because there's a lot that's gotta change in the way our family eats.

Throughout my life, I have been blessed with revoltingly good health - I ate well, got oodles of exercise, and simply got lucky. Then, I got pregnant. Starting at about week 6, I had violent hyperemesis (read: mega-barfing 8-9 times per day, including in the middle of the night). I was so miserable - imagine having the puke flu for weeks months on end - that I found myself having a lot of alarmingly dark thoughts that really made me question whether or not I was fit to be a mother. I was hopeful that it would ease by week 14, but it just got worse, and I set up camp in front of The Great Porcelain Throne (I really did). That messy little time of my life drove home the simple fact that I do not want to be sick. Not now, not later. For the record? Sebastian was worth every heave and wretch (which continued through my 7th month), but most illnesses do not have such a cute outcome. And here's what I'm grappling with: 75% of all chronic diseases can be linked to what we put in our mouths (yes, you read that right). Heart disease, diabetes, even the Big C. Heavy. But I do not WANT heavy right now! I want light and fluffy! Like marshmallow creme! Mmmm.... Fluffer-nutters.... Argh, see???!!!! It's hopeless!

So, I am broadening my Quest for Simplicity a bit to include food. The Old Me would have gone nuts and overhauled our kitchen in a night, only to be secretly stashing Oreos (next to the tampons where the hubby would NEVER look) within a week. The New-ish, More Realistic Me is tackling one small change at a time to ensure stickiness. Over the past few days, I've added collard greens to a smoothie (survived), traded my Parmesan cheese for nutritional yeast (still alive), and made a pact with the hubby that we will only buy organic free range chicken and beef (effectively limiting our meat consumption since said items cost $99 a lb). I'll keep you posted since the potential for hilarity is high. One thought I'll leave you with that has stuck with me is this: there is no such thing as "cheap" food - you'll pay for it one way or another. I'd rather part with some green than part with my spleen! ... OK, whatever, blame it on the cells in my brain SCREAMING for cream cheese.

3 comments:

  1. You should talk with Miles. He read the Michael Pollan books and has changed the way he eats completely. While I totally respect him for it, it has been a bigger challenge for me. I'm working on making some smaller changes a few at a time. Feeding two picky eaters requires a level of creativity that sometimes I just don't have but we're all working together to try to eat closer to the earth. I love this rule: Don't eat anything that your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food. Not sure where I read it but it's a great thing to keep in the back of your head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the grandmother/food thing is a Pollan-ism, but I'm sure he's not the first person to say it. We don't have an issue with processed food in our house, but oh - my sugar and dairy addictions are not to be believed. I could be completely content surviving on chocolate and cheese until my dying day (which would be sooner rather than later if I actually let myself get away with that). Getting Mr Meat and Potatoes to not expect a big hunk of flesh for dinner every night is going to be a challenge too, but he's been pretty open minded so far (though the dairy issue may be the straw that breaks the camel's back - we'll see). I agree - small changes are the way to go, and before you know it, we'll sprouting grains and drinking homemade wheatgrass. We can share tempeh recipes! And wonder where all our friends went! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, loving the blog. We have been fighting to go all organic for about two and a half , we have done fasts, tests, and dramatic acts of throwing out everything in the fridge and cabinets and replacing it all with organic, natural product. So far the results are not the extreme great nutrition weight loss I've hoped for but it has resulted in stellar lab results and overall healthfulness. Plus, my wife has had, thus far, the most impressively non-ill pregnancy. It will be a life long struggle to continue down this path, the key is not to beat myself up when I slip into a pint of Rocky Road and/or an apple pie!

    ReplyDelete